Monday, December 2, 2013


After a record summer of rain, we found ourselves with a leak in the roof. One day I noticed the floor was buckling in the corner of our son's room. It had been absorbing moisture for a while but I hadn't seen it because of the curtains.

And literally two days later we had an outbreak of these tiny bugs:

It took a while to figure out what they were, but eventually I identified them... they're called mold/plaster beetles. (Awesome) Meanwhile, we had a mold specialist come in and do a number of moisture readings which led us to remediation. First things first, repair the porch roof that ties into the floor on the second level:

And dehumidifying:

Followed by removal of mold covered materials:

Evidence of the water coming in:

Dry, dry, and dry:

Rebuilding the floor:

We used the leftover heartpine that was milled/installed downstairs:

All of this work happened in July/August right before my son started kindergarten. Nothing like kicking a child out of their room during a big life transition! :-P

No comments:

Post a Comment